This Privacy Notice informs you that we promise to look after your personal information. This includes what you tell us about yourself, what we learn by having you as a customer using our services, and the choices you make about communications you want to receive. This notice explains how we do this and tells you about your privacy rights and how the law protects you.
Your information will be held by E-Car Club Ltd of 29 Shand St, London, SE1 2ES, Company Reg. No. 7789666. E-Car Club is part of Europcar group of companies. More information on Europcar can be found on their websites.
Our Privacy Promise
- To keep the data safe and private
- Not to sell the data
- To give you ways of managing your preferences
Why we collect the information
Data protection law says that we are allowed to use personal information only if we have a proper reason to do so. This includes sharing it outside the group. The law says we must have one or more of these reasons:
- To fulfil a contract with you, or
- When it our legal duty, or
- When it is in our legitimate interest, or
- When consent is expressly given.
We may collect the following groups of personal information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Locational – your GPS location when making a booking through the online booking system or mobile app and the position of our vehicles.
- Transactional – details of customers transactions with us.
- Contractual – details on the services we provide
- Behavioural – how our services are used
- Technical – the devices and technology being used to access the services
- Communications – what we learn from letters, emails and conversations between us.
- Social relationships – family, friends and other relationships
- Open data / public records – details about our customers that are in the public domain, Electoral Register, DVLA when permission is given, and information freely available on the internet
- Documentary data – details that are stored in documents in different formats, or copies of them. This could include passport verification, driving licence and other acceptable ID documents
- Consensual – any permissions consents or preferences you have notified us of.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular we may use it for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests
- During the process of your initial membership enquiry, we may contact you by phone and/or email in order to complete your application
- To manage customer payments
- To collect and recover debts owed to us.
Where we collect the data from
Data you give us:
- When you apply for our service
- When you talk to us on the phone or at promotional events
- When you use our website, mobile apps, web chat service, or promotional services or agents
- Via email and letters
- In insurance claims or other documents
- In customer surveys
- If you opt to take part in promotions or competitions
Data we collect when you use our services:
- Payment data
- Profile and usage data, this includes the profile created to identify yourself when you connect to the service. It includes other data about how you use the service. We gather this data from devices you use to connect to those services, such as computers and mobile phones, using cookies and other internet tracking software. We also use in-car technologies to track our assets and ensure they are used in an appropriate manner.
Data from third parties we work with:
- Companies that introduce you to us, this may include employers and promotional companies.
- Adverts on media sites
- Retail sites offering the service
- Social networks
- Fraud prevention agencies
- Public information sources such as companies house or the electoral register
- Loyalty scheme operators
- Agents working on our behalf
- Market researchers
- Government and law enforcement agencies including the DVLA
Who we share personal information with:
- Agents and advisors who we use to help run the service, collect owed money, and explore new ways of doing business
- Credit reference agencies
- Fraud prevention agencies and law enforcement representatives
- Any entitled party linked with you or your business’s service
- Companies with whom we have a joint venture or agreement to cooperate with
- Organisations that introduce you to us
- Companies that we introduce you to
We will only send your data outside the European Economic Area “EEA” to:
- Follow your instructions
- Comply with legal duty
- Work with our agents and advisors we employ to assist with the running of the service
If data is sent outside the EEA, we will make sure that it is protected in the same way as the EEA by:
- Using countries with privacy laws giving the same protection as the EEA
- Put in place contracts with the recipient to ensure they protect the data to the same standards as the EEA
If you choose not to supply personal data, it may prevent us from offering the service to you.
Marketing and updating preferences
We may use your personal data to tell you about relevant services or promotions that you may find interesting and of benefit.
We can only use your personal information to send marketing messages if we have either your consent or if a legitimate interest is identified. This is when we have a business or commercial reason to use your information. It should not be unfair or go against what is right and best for you.
You can opt out of the marketing messages at any time by contacting us. You can reverse this at any time if you wish to opt back in to the messages.
Whatever you choose, you will still receive usage statements and other important messages such as changes to your existing terms and conditions.
To update your marketing preference at any time you can email us at email@example.com. We will then respond confirming your choice within 10 working days.
How long will we keep your personal information?
- As long as you are a customer of E-Car Club
After to you stop being a customer, we may keep the data for up to 7 years for one of these reasons.
- To respond to any questions or complaints
- To show we treated you fairly
- To maintain records according to rules that apply to us
We may keep data longer than 10 years if we are not permitted to delete it for legal, regulatory or technical reasons. We may also keep it for research or statistical purposes to help improve the service. If we do, we will make sure that your privacy is protected and used only for those purposes.
How to get a copy of your personal information.
You can access your personal information we hold by writing to The Data Processor, E-Car Club Ltd, of 29 Shand Street, London, SE1 2ES.
How to let us know your personal information is incorrect
You have the right to question the data we hold for you if you think it may be wrong or incomplete. Please write to The Data Processor, E-Car Club Ltd, of 29 Shand Street, London, SE1 2ES.
Your right to be forgotten
You have the right to object to our use of your personal data, or to ask us to delete, remove or stop using your personal data if there is no reason to keep it.
There may be legal or other official reasons why we need to keep or use your data. In this case we will restrict the use of your data to those reasons. Your data will not be shared beyond the reasons.
Examples of restrictions
- Data is not accurate
- It has been used unlawfully but you don’t want to delete it
- If no longer relevant, but you wish us to keep it for legal claims
If you wish to object to how we use your data, ask us to delete it or restrict its use to legal and regulatory please contact us by writing to The Data Processor, E-Car Club Ltd, of 29 Shand Street London SE1 2ES. You will receive a written response from us answering your queries or confirming the request. If we cannot delete the personal data due to legal or regulatory reasons you will be informed of this.
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added, and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.